Hendersonville Home Inspector Reveals:

Invisible Hazards That Can Ruin An Inspection Report

Home inspections are conducted on our area homes every time they are sold to a new buyer. They are part of the standard process followed by the real estate industry to ensure necessary repairs are identified and negotiated between parties, as part of the sale.

There are many common issues that are identified during this process, such as an aging water heater, missing shingles, degraded insulation or even broken gutters. There are also many invisible hazards that we can’t see or smell that can ruin an inspection report. Some of these can lead to real harm, or worse.

Here are the five hidden hazards in a home that can hurt your inspection report and your family:

Asbestos

Asbestos was a common material used to fireproof building materials and homes. It is the leading cause of the incurable cancer – mesothelioma. Older homes may still contain some asbestos in the walls, ceilings or around pipes.

If asbestos is identified in your home, its best to bring in a professional to handle the asbestos abatement. Complete and safe removal of asbestos is critical. 

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide has no odor, color or taste. It is an invisible and poisonous gas that can be introduced into your home by appliances including your furnace, boiler, dryer and fireplace. Thousands of people are hospitalized, or worse each year from carbon monoxide poisoning in their own homes.

Carbon monoxide tests can detect harmful levels of this gas in your home. Installing a carbon monoxide detector is an easy fix and will provide you with ongoing peace of mind. Check the batteries regularly to keep it working properly as your first line of defense against this hidden home hazard. 

Lead Paint

Homes built before 1978 may contain lead. When the original lead paint is intact there are no health hazards. It is only when the paint peels or is removed for a home renovation project that it becomes dangerous.

A simple lead paint test kit can determine if your home contains lead. You can replace items that contain lead like older doors. There are also professionals who can perform proper lead paint abatement and remove it safely from your home. 

Mold

Mold is a fungus consisting of spores that are too small to be seen by the human eye while they are germinating and circulating throughout your home. They thrive in moist environments from your attic to your basement. This hidden hazard may strike anywhere, especially in warm, dark areas where your pipes live. Mold can grow incredibly fast in the right conditions and after only 12 to 48 hours. Mold colonizes and spreads to other areas of your home within one day to a week.

Quick remediation of roof or plumbing leaks is key to prevent mold growth from compounding property damage and repairs. Professional mold abatement should be performed immediately to contain and remove mold from your home.

Radon

Radon is a colorless, odorless and radioactive gas that is common in many U.S. homes. It’s produced naturally when uranium in the earth decays. If you breathe radon for prolonged periods, it can cause serious health problems, and is the number one cause of lung cancer among non-smokers.

Radon detection tests easily pinpoint the presence of dangerous gas in your home. Sub slab ventilation can be used to prevent its entry into your home.

Partner with the Best

If you have concerns about hidden hazards in your home or want reassurance that the home you’re buying is free of harmful toxins, partner with J and J by visiting our Hendersonville home inspector page.